Pushing the limits of the farm-to-fork revolution beyond organic seasonal produce is modern-day hunter-gatherer, Rohan Anderson. In Whole Larder Love, Anderson conveys a fearless commitment to ingredients grown, hunted and foraged. With a no-nonsense disregard for industrialized food, these recipes are hearty, practical and rustic. From electric nettle soup and furred game cannelloni, to field-foraged ragu and gardener’s payback paella; this book will appeal to those who prefer their food wild, red-blooded and wholesome.
Roast chicken and grilled eggplant (aubergine) lasagne recipe
- 1 whole chicken, quartered
- 1 box lasagne pasta
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 3 eggplants
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 large handful basil, chopped
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 cups Parmesan cheese, grated
- 20 oz (600 g) ricotta cheese
- 24 oz (750 ml) passata (or a tin of chopped tomatoes)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- Pine nuts
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Slice the eggplant lengthwise and grill on a griddle pan with a generous splash of olive oil for each slice. When done set aside to cool.
- In a large pot, heat some olive oil and brown the chicken pieces for a few minutes on each side, but don’t cook them through. Once done, set aside.
- In the same pot, heat some olive oil and add the onions, carrots and celery. Cook for a good while until they are softened and have changed colour. Add the wine and cook out.
- When the wine is almost all cooked out, return the chicken and add the passata and garlic.
- Cook until the meat falls from the bone. Depending on the age and type of bird this will take from 40 to 60 minutes.
- Remove the pieces of chicken and scrape the meat off the bone. Return the meat to the pot and discard the bones. Add the basil.
- Allow the chicken mix to cool to room temperature. At the same time, cook the lasagne pasta al dente.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F). In a large bowl stir the ricotta, cheddar and Parmesan until completely mixed.
- Using a large baking dish, ladle out a layer of the chicken ragu, then a layer of grilled eggplant, then lasagne, then cheese. Repeat this process for at least three levels.
- On top of the last layer, grate over plenty of cheddar and Parmesan cheese and sprinkle over some pine nuts.
- Bake covered with a lid or aluminium foil for 30 minutes then remove the cover and bake for another 20 minutes, or until golden brown up top.
Recipe and image taken from Whole Larder Love: Grow Gather Hunt Cook by Rohan Anderson, published by powerHouse Books.