Made up of just six ingredients, this recipe is blissfully easy. We call it Nana’s hazelnut cake and it’s something of a Christmas Eve tradition. Best served in front of an open fire, with a cup of toasty mulled wine.
Nana’s hazelnut cake recipe
- 4 eggs, separated
- 8 oz caster sugar
- 2 tbsp fresh breadcrumbs
- 8 oz hazelnuts, ground
- 1 tbsp water
- 175 ml Nutella (or chocolate buttercream)
- Lightly grease and line the base of two round cake tins.
- Whisk the eggs whites until stiff.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks with the sugar until light and creamy.
- Add the breadcrumbs and water to the egg yolks. Continue beating and then mix in the hazelnuts.
- Fold the eggs whites into the egg yolk mix until mixed through.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the two cake tins.
- Bake at 200°C for 25 minutes, or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Leave to cool slightly for 10 minutes and then turn out onto a wire cooling rack.
- Once completely cool, sandwich the two sponge layers together with a layer of Nutella.
- To finish, lightly dust with a sprinkle of icing sugar.
Cost of ingredients: £4.05, makes one cake